Home » Featured, NHS General News

Children’s Hospital Admit Liability After Teen is Left Paralysed

No Comment

Birmingham Children’s Hospital have admitted liability for their mistake which left a 14 year old girl permanently paralysed.

Sophie Tyler, now aged 17, was left with a spinal epidural in her back for 48 hours when she was admitted for a routine gallstone operation in May 2008.

The device was inserted into her Sophie’s back for pain control, but within 24 hours she was complaining of a numb feeling in one leg. Within 2 days, she couldn’t feel her feet or both legs.

Depsite her complaints, staff still took until the same evening to remove the epidural, after which an MRI scan showed that the membranes of the spinal cord had been permanently damaged leaving her paralysed for life.

Representing Sophie’s family, medical law expert, Tim Deeming, of Irwin Mitchell Solicitors stated, “Sophie and her family have been devastated by what has happened…At the age of 14, to be told the news that you will never walk again is unimaginable and to discover that mistakes were entirely avoidable has been incredibly hard for them to cope with.”

Sophie’s mother, Sue Tyler added, “From being an outgoing teenager, her life has altered overnight and we have all had to come to terms with what has happened.”

The chief medical officer at the Children’s Hospital, Dr Vin Diwakar, apologised for the mistake and the subsequent life changing consequences before adding, “ The care we provided fell below our usual high standards and since then we have implemented a whole series of changes.”

Now liability has been admitted, the family can start making a financial claim to help cover the cost of caring for Sophie throughout the rest of her life.

Share and Enjoy:
  • Print
  • Digg
  • StumbleUpon
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Twitter
  • Google Bookmarks
  • LinkedIn